The Minnesota State Fair: The Pictures
B and I had a blast at the State Fair. Well, really all we did was eat, but we had a lot fun doing that.
I had planned to take a ton of photos, and was hoping to top my food-on-a-stick montage from last year. Two things got in the way of this:
1) All the packing we'd been doing left us kinda tired, and the packing we still needed to do made us pressed for time.
2) It was overcast, and without direct sunlight I knew I wouldn't be able to get better-looking pictures than last year.
So we said what the hey, ate a bunch, and grabbed what pics we could. Here goes:

Me with a pork chop on a stick.

This is where we got out sausage sampler -- half a link each of andouille, potate sausage, and weisswurst, cut up and served with peppers and onions.

They were serving, um, milk here. Notice the "all you can drink for a $1," which reaises the question of how much milk one can drink. I read a book recently, sort of a cheesy detective thing set in Las Vegas, in which one guy cons another into betting that he can drink a gallon of milk in an hour. The con if it was that the enzymes in milk will make you puke if you try to drink that much that quickly. But maybe a Minnesotan could do it . . .

Saw the sign, had to have one.

Pretty much chocolate sauce and some jam on bread, grilled like grilled cheese and covered with powered sugar. I loved it, B did not.




This is where we got a chocolate milkshake.






Someone visited the Oink Booth.

Cheese curds! Probably our last for a while.

Hot dish on a stick was this year's newest on-a-stick novelty. "Hot dish" is sort of Minnesotan for "casserole." We passed, both because it didn't look all that exciting and because we were still working on the milkshake and cheese curds. Our stomachs were beginning to complain but we willed them to silence.

Time for some lighter fare . . . pickle on a stick.

Map on a stick!

Governor on a stick!!

Don't know if you make out the text on this menu, but this place was selling milkshakes with cereal mix-ins. As in, "I'll have a vanilla shake with Fruit Loops."

Again, don't know if you can make out the text, but on the right it says they are offering "Italians."


Hot dago on a stick! Oh my.

Walleye on a stick. It was actually really good.

Belgian waffle on a stick! We had to walk around a bit to give out stomachs time to settle, and I actually suggested that maybe we could skip it, but B insisted. Good thing, too, because it was delicious.


On our way out we saw the butter scupltures of the dairy princesses. Throughout the year, princesses in each county of Minnesota are crowned, and at the state fair, their heads are sculpted in butter. It's a tradition.
OK, if you made it this far, congrats! The state fair is so much fun -- wish we could've stayed longer, but mainly I'm happy that we didn't miss it altogether.
I had planned to take a ton of photos, and was hoping to top my food-on-a-stick montage from last year. Two things got in the way of this:
1) All the packing we'd been doing left us kinda tired, and the packing we still needed to do made us pressed for time.
2) It was overcast, and without direct sunlight I knew I wouldn't be able to get better-looking pictures than last year.
So we said what the hey, ate a bunch, and grabbed what pics we could. Here goes:

Me with a pork chop on a stick.

This is where we got out sausage sampler -- half a link each of andouille, potate sausage, and weisswurst, cut up and served with peppers and onions.

They were serving, um, milk here. Notice the "all you can drink for a $1," which reaises the question of how much milk one can drink. I read a book recently, sort of a cheesy detective thing set in Las Vegas, in which one guy cons another into betting that he can drink a gallon of milk in an hour. The con if it was that the enzymes in milk will make you puke if you try to drink that much that quickly. But maybe a Minnesotan could do it . . .

Saw the sign, had to have one.

Pretty much chocolate sauce and some jam on bread, grilled like grilled cheese and covered with powered sugar. I loved it, B did not.




This is where we got a chocolate milkshake.






Someone visited the Oink Booth.

Cheese curds! Probably our last for a while.

Hot dish on a stick was this year's newest on-a-stick novelty. "Hot dish" is sort of Minnesotan for "casserole." We passed, both because it didn't look all that exciting and because we were still working on the milkshake and cheese curds. Our stomachs were beginning to complain but we willed them to silence.

Time for some lighter fare . . . pickle on a stick.

Map on a stick!

Governor on a stick!!

Don't know if you make out the text on this menu, but this place was selling milkshakes with cereal mix-ins. As in, "I'll have a vanilla shake with Fruit Loops."

Again, don't know if you can make out the text, but on the right it says they are offering "Italians."


Hot dago on a stick! Oh my.

Walleye on a stick. It was actually really good.

Belgian waffle on a stick! We had to walk around a bit to give out stomachs time to settle, and I actually suggested that maybe we could skip it, but B insisted. Good thing, too, because it was delicious.


On our way out we saw the butter scupltures of the dairy princesses. Throughout the year, princesses in each county of Minnesota are crowned, and at the state fair, their heads are sculpted in butter. It's a tradition.
OK, if you made it this far, congrats! The state fair is so much fun -- wish we could've stayed longer, but mainly I'm happy that we didn't miss it altogether.

3 Comments:
Ha! I loved the "governor on a stick" booth!
But no grapes on a stick this year?
I have to ask... how was the gopher milk? Does it taste as "earthy" as one would expect?
Yeah, kind of earthy, but also a little sour, but in a good way. Hard to describe. Evidently they have to milk three gophers to get enough milk for just one shake. They've got hundreds of them back there.
:-)
Post a Comment
<< Home