Totchos
So I haven't blogged in a while. And I feel bad about that, I really do. But there's nothing to be do about but start blogging again, so here goes.
B and I have been on a diet since mid-April, when I realized that I was as heavy as I'd ever been in my life. Now I'm not just whining about my weight -- this is definitely Minnesota-related! I mean, in the summertime this state is the land of sausages, milk shakes, and cheese curds, and in the wintertime the cold weather makes eating half a large pizza seem like a perfectly healthy thing to do on a Friday night. Anyhoo, we're doing the weight-watchers thing -- smaller portions, very little fat -- and we've been well-behaved for a month now.
But last night we had something that's definitely not diet-approved. What happened was we went over to Tracy's (the bar around the corner) for trivia night. Trivia night is awesome but it takes like 2 hours for them to read all the questions, and if I'm in a bar for 2 hours I will usually drink too much beer than is good for a worknight. (Not that beer is great for my diet, but one thing at a time!) So I knew I wanted to eat something as an absorption measure. I was all set to order a chicken salad or something when I saw a new menu addition that I had to try: totchos.
Totchos are tater tots, nacho-style. As in, piled high with melty cheese, salsa, sour cream, jalapeno peppers, black olives, and chopped lettuce and tomato. You still eat 'em with a fork. (Yes, this sounds odd, but keep in mind that Tracy's is very big on tater tots -- you can order them instead of fries with any burger, etc.) The totchos were absolutely delicious, but B and I remain a little unsure about our ability to be objective. The tots were deep-fried, which is pretty excessive to begin with. Add melty cheese and sour cream to the mix, and there's no way they're not gonna taste like heaven to someone who's been counting calories for a month.
We did horribly at the trivia, but at least we expanded our food horizons. Now I'm wondering what other foods might be good nacho-style. French fries, certainly -- or waffle fries, which Tracy's is also big on. Potato skins. I guess I've seen versions of nacho pizza before. Hey, maybe cheese curds. . . .
B and I have been on a diet since mid-April, when I realized that I was as heavy as I'd ever been in my life. Now I'm not just whining about my weight -- this is definitely Minnesota-related! I mean, in the summertime this state is the land of sausages, milk shakes, and cheese curds, and in the wintertime the cold weather makes eating half a large pizza seem like a perfectly healthy thing to do on a Friday night. Anyhoo, we're doing the weight-watchers thing -- smaller portions, very little fat -- and we've been well-behaved for a month now.
But last night we had something that's definitely not diet-approved. What happened was we went over to Tracy's (the bar around the corner) for trivia night. Trivia night is awesome but it takes like 2 hours for them to read all the questions, and if I'm in a bar for 2 hours I will usually drink too much beer than is good for a worknight. (Not that beer is great for my diet, but one thing at a time!) So I knew I wanted to eat something as an absorption measure. I was all set to order a chicken salad or something when I saw a new menu addition that I had to try: totchos.
Totchos are tater tots, nacho-style. As in, piled high with melty cheese, salsa, sour cream, jalapeno peppers, black olives, and chopped lettuce and tomato. You still eat 'em with a fork. (Yes, this sounds odd, but keep in mind that Tracy's is very big on tater tots -- you can order them instead of fries with any burger, etc.) The totchos were absolutely delicious, but B and I remain a little unsure about our ability to be objective. The tots were deep-fried, which is pretty excessive to begin with. Add melty cheese and sour cream to the mix, and there's no way they're not gonna taste like heaven to someone who's been counting calories for a month.
We did horribly at the trivia, but at least we expanded our food horizons. Now I'm wondering what other foods might be good nacho-style. French fries, certainly -- or waffle fries, which Tracy's is also big on. Potato skins. I guess I've seen versions of nacho pizza before. Hey, maybe cheese curds. . . .

1 Comments:
How about "buffalo-style" chicken tender nachos? You could substitute blue-cheese dressing for the sour cream.
Post a Comment
<< Home