The Napkin-and-Silverware Glass
I have not posted in a few weeks, and I feel bad about that, especially because I've got lost of good stuff to blog about. For example, way back on the Saturday before the Super Bowl, B and I actually went ice fishing!! I took about a zillion photos, but as my buddy Brian has blogged about recently, it's a little time-consuming and tedious to transfer a lot of photos off the digital camera, compress them for the web, upload them to a server, and then link to them in the blog.
I promise I will get to the ice fishing photos, but for now, a photo-free post:
They are big on the napkin-and-silverware glass here in Minnefabulous. At a very large proportion of restaurants, they do not set out your silverware and napkins on the table, with one place setting per person. Instead, there is usually a pint or similar-sized glass on each table containing a bunch of napkins, knives, forks, and spoons. When this runs low, the server simply gives you a new glass.
I know this may seem like an odd thing to notice, and I know I've seen the napkin-and-silverware glass in the occasional bar or diner in other cities, but they really do this at a lot of restaurants out here (definitely the majority of restaurants we've been to), including some rather nice ones. I prefer it: You don't need to ask the waitress for extra napkins when you're messy or if you spill anything, or for an extra fork if you drop yours, or for an extra spoon if you want to split a bowl of soup.
I promise I will get to the ice fishing photos, but for now, a photo-free post:
They are big on the napkin-and-silverware glass here in Minnefabulous. At a very large proportion of restaurants, they do not set out your silverware and napkins on the table, with one place setting per person. Instead, there is usually a pint or similar-sized glass on each table containing a bunch of napkins, knives, forks, and spoons. When this runs low, the server simply gives you a new glass.
I know this may seem like an odd thing to notice, and I know I've seen the napkin-and-silverware glass in the occasional bar or diner in other cities, but they really do this at a lot of restaurants out here (definitely the majority of restaurants we've been to), including some rather nice ones. I prefer it: You don't need to ask the waitress for extra napkins when you're messy or if you spill anything, or for an extra fork if you drop yours, or for an extra spoon if you want to split a bowl of soup.

4 Comments:
This is the kinda stuff you just can't get on the Discovery Channel!
Ha! Ha! Nice comment, Mark! It's nice to see you can keep the friendly banter working even through blog comments.
Heheh. Just wanted James to know that I'm reading his blog religiously and I really do appreciate the details he picks up.
I have been checking regularly for the ice fishing pics but I will continue to be patient. I too found the silverware thing very convient while we were out there! I have definitely missed it since we have been back home!
Post a Comment
<< Home