Sunday, July 31, 2005

United Noodle

So B and I live about three blocks away from the largest Asian grocery in Minneapolis. Yesterday (Saturday July 30), we went over to check it out.

The name of the place is United Noodle. You really have to know where to look in order to find it -- it's in the middle of a small office/industrial park with no prominent signage:





As the sign indicates, they're primarily a whoelsaler, but also sell retail.

The sign on a catering truck in the parking lot cracked me up:





Yes, that is an anthropomorphic noodle wearing a Chinese peasant's hat. If you go to the United Noodles website there is animated flash intro featuring this mascot. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, the place is pretty amazing, with all the exotic stuff you expect to find in an Asian market: fruits and vegetables I've never heard of, unusual seafood, chicken feet, bottles tamrind juice, etc. There were a whole couple rows devoted to ramen, and another couple devoted to rice. In the frozen section I thought the "vegetarian ham fried rice" was amusing. But then B tried a sample of the "tofu steak" and said it wasn't too bad. At the "deli" counter you can buy a half a roasted duck for $7.50, so we'll have to do that for dinner some night. We bought some frozen pork buns, frozen shumai, rice wine for cooking, and some chinese broccoli (which B loves). In the months to come we'll have to try some of the more exotic stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mostly Torn said...

Whoa! Sounds like you live near a cool place. I'm jealous! Mmmmmmm.... tofu steak....

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home